How to Apply
Catapult gives early support to propel projects forward that hold the promise of a story that should be uniquely told in film. We provide development funding, up to $20,000, to documentary filmmakers who have a strong story to tell, have secured access, and are ready to create a fundraising piece to help unlock critical production funding. We enable filmmakers to develop their projects to the next level, at the early stage when funding is hard to find. We support powerful and moving storytelling, by filmmakers with a strong voice across a broad spectrum of subject matter.
We accept applications on a rolling basis.
Beginning May 1st, Catapult will accept questions 1, 3, and 4 of the Documentary Core Application, in addition to supplemental questions unique to Catapult.
Who do we fund?
Catapult is not tied to any specific social issue agenda. We support and encourage filmmakers to tell a full range of stories on film in whatever form fits the film and artist. As a result our Catapult supported films can range widely in style and scope.
What we are looking for
- Creative, artful, compelling and innovative storytelling techniques
- Strong story narrative at the core of the film
- A unique perspective or approach; use of humor a plus
- Contemporary relevance
- Feasibility of the project with respect to its budget, financing, schedule and scope
- Demonstrated ability of the creative team to have implemented previous projects
- Grant amount should have significant impact on development stage of the project
- Emphasis on the story not the lesson or agenda of the filmmaker
- Filmmaker’s credible access and rapport with the proposed subject(s) of the story.
- Originality of form, approach or content
- Potential of the project to generate public discourse and social engagement